Sunday, January 12, 2014

DIY No-Sew Fairy and 49ers Tutus

The crafting weekend continues!! Only one more week until the Tinkerbell Half Marathon, and I had to come up with my fairy costume stat. My friends and I have each chosen to be a fairy in a different color, and I chose green. My green fairy wings are store bought, but half off at Joann's, so no biggie. For my awesome fairy tutu, I decided to give it a whirl myself. I started off with tulle from Joann's in 3 colors--light green, emerald green, and glittery emerald green. Joann's has cheap tulle 6 inch by 6 yard rolls for $2.50 in various colors, and then longer 25 yard rolls for like $3.50 in other colors. In the end, for an adult tutu that is super fluffy I needed 2 of the 25 yard rolls and 4 of the 6 yard rolls. There are tons of YouTube videos on how to make tutus, but there is one little extra step that I'll share with you that I think makes the tutu even more fantastic. 




BE FOREWARNED:You will have glitter EVERYWHERE! I've taken multiple showers and I still have glitter in my hair and on my face.

Steps:

1. Cut strips of tulle about 25 inches long. I don't know how many I cut, I just kept cutting until I ran out of tulle. For the light green I think I cut them about 27 inches, to give the tutu the appearance of various depths.




2.***extra step: Cut off the ends in a curved "v" shape.

3. Using ribbon measure out your waist circumference, and make a knot in the ribbon on each side to mark where your waist ends, while adding about 10 inches to each side past the knot.  These extra 20 inches will be used to close the tutu and be the tails of ribbon that make a bow.

4. Loop the strips of tulle around the ribbon, in alternating colors. Somehow the light green tulle all ended up underneath with the glittered and plain emerald on top. The tighter you bunch the knots, the more fluffy your tutu will be. Once you've filled in the ribbon between your two knots, you're done!





Cutting the ends of the tulle in a "V" shape gives it more of a flower petal look


In honor of the SF 49ers playing in the playoffs I decided to make baby tutus as well for my Niner-fans-to-be. This time I bought tulle in 4 colors--red, gold, glittered red, and glittered gold. The strips of tulle will be shorter, about 17 inches this time. The nice thing about using a ribbon instead of an elastic waistband is that the tutu can grow with the baby/toddler--you can just loosen how tightly packed the tulle knots are next to each other. I accessorized with Niners ribbons that I found unexpectedly at the Joann's in Santa Monica.















GO NINERS!!!

1 comment: