Sunday, June 14, 2015

DIY Craft Desk

Last year when we moved back to the Bay Area we found a two bedroom apartment, and my first order of business was to create a temporary craft room. I searched far and wide for ideas on how to create a cheap table that had plenty of storage as well as tabletop space. Here were a couple of my favorites that I used for inspiration: 




The best solution I found was to buy Kallax book shelves and desk tops from IKEA. On our way to IKEA we happened to pass by a used office furniture store, where we found the exact IKEA desk tops I had wanted in used but good condition for $20 each! All together I think my huge desk ended up being about $200, which was way less than the smaller desks I had found online that were $900 and above. Container Store supplied the rest of my desk accessories in teal to bring the whole look together. I have photos of the desk, but unfortunately not the craft room with everything in its place. 


I bought four of the Kallax 4x4 shelves in white, along with a few drawer inserts

Bright Stockholm Paper Drawers
Bigso Desk Accessories at Container Store



With the way my desk is set up I can get to supplies from either side. My Cricut has its home on one side of the desk while the other side is my official work station with my laptop. Once I eventually learn to sew I will have plenty of room for that as well!




My new craft room is in the process of being built. Once done, it should look like this on the outside--I can't wait!!


No comments:

Post a Comment