Friday, November 8, 2013

Playing with Perfect Pearls Mist

I came across a beautiful card created by one of my favorite bloggers, Jennifer McGuire. She made a beautiful and easy snowy night sky, and I immediately wanted to recreate the look. To do so, I had to buy Tim Holtz Distress Inks in several colors and Perfect Pearls. Jennifer used Perfect Pearls powder and added water--I took the easy route and bought the premade mist spray. Jennifer does what is called an embossed resist technique. First one has to stamp and emboss an image, usually in white. Then one sponges Distress Inks over the stamped image to create a background. Tim Holtz Distress Inks are great because they blend very well and when misted with a little bit of water, or in this case Perfect Pearls Mist, the colors blend like watercolor ink. The white embossed area stays white and doesn't pick up the color. 

My embossed white image using a Hero Arts stamp.
Sponged background using 3 Distress Ink colors

Used some snowflakes from my Stamps of Life Christmas2build set.
Misted with some Pearl Pearls--the iphone doesn't do justice to how shimmery and cool it looks.

I then played some more using my latest favorite flower stamp and other Tim Holtz Distress Inks.

Step 1-stamp and emboss image in white

Step 2: Sponge and blend background using Distress Inks
Step 3: Spray with Perfect Pearls mist on Ranger craft sheet to protect my kitchen surface.

 LOVE LOVE LOVE it! I especially love the bigger blotchy Perfect Pearl spots.


I couldn't stop there. Had to try it with a snowflake background:


Added some Liquid Pearls


 Definitely my favorite new technique!

2 comments: