Friday, October 11, 2013

And so it begins!

So I guess introductions are in order. Years ago my hubby signed me up for Facebook because he was tired of me using his account to look at photos of all our friends. Now he probably wishes he never did, because now I just can't stop checking Facebook. I admit it is bad and sucks up one's time. I will let it go...someday. But for the time being my hubby has started this blog for me, maybe so that now he isn't the only one who gets to hear "Guess what I made today!", and perhaps also get me to focus my Facebook-checking energy into something more creative and productive.  And so it begins...

By day I deliver babies, and during my new found free-time (since I am no longer an OBGYN resident), I love to create--doesn't really matter what. I can't think of anyone who doesn't love get something personal and unique, but maybe me more than others. Hubby always makes fun of my obsession for checking the mail. Can't let a day go by with mail sitting in the mailbox! I admit most of it is junk, but every so often that there is that one card or package with my name of it that brings a smile to my face. I hope others feel that way when they get my "special deliveries." :) Kind of makes me sad that people really don't send hand written cards or letters anymore--where's the fun or surprise in simply checking your inbox for email?

My obsession with crafting really starting with my wedding in 2011. And my discovery of Etsy. So many cute things, I realized, I could make myself, and maybe make even better than the things sold online. So I started with the invites. Then moved on to the wedding banner, placecards, and seat signs. I had my first taste of the Cricut machine (thanks to my friend Danmy Loi) and what it could do. There were some things I did pay for through Etsy, but in the end I did a lot myself. 

Then friends started having babies, in particular my bff. So I went a little nuts and planned her golf-themed baby shower. Decided it was time to buy my own Cricut machine. Husband soon learned to not bother me while I was "cricutting" (a verb that I created). And then it just went on from there. I am now obsessed with cardmaking...I frequent Michaels and Joann's on almost a weekly basis. I attend "Scrapbooking Expos" and classes...yes, this is who I have become. But come to think of it, when I look back to when I was a kid, I remember then how I much I loved to collect stickers and hang out at art supply and stationery stores, and how I used to secretly day dream about being locked in one overnight accidentally and having the time of my life.  Do you remember ever reading "From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler" as a kid? I think that's where the daydream came from. But anyway...


This is me, as an adult, mesmerized by stamps at PaperSource


This is one long ginormous first blogpost. Here are two years' worth of crafting...enjoy!

Wedding 2011
Got married in Maui and had the most intimate awesome wedding ever. Save the Dates were made from vintage Hawaiian postcards with the details printed on sticker labels that I stuck to the backs of the postcards.  Invites were printed using our home printer. The real sand dollars I attached to each one unfortunately did not all survive being mailed. Customs stamps were ordered through Zazzle.com. Cake topper was through Lollipopworkshop on Etsy.com --they were awesome, btw. I drew a sketch of what I wanted that they followed it to a T. Custom hanger by blackscrapcat on Etsy. Seashell ring pillow by Woomipyo on Etsy. The signs/banners were made using a Cricut.








The finished invite on actual Wedding Day
Since it was a destination wedding, we had an RSVP card, itinerary, travel & hotel accommodation info
We even made cool envelopes




Got this idea from a wedding magazine. Place cards were from Michaels I think. A bit more tricky to keep standing, especially with wind!


















Cards for Congratulations: 

house warming...graduation...anniversary...engagement

















Happy Birthday Cards








My sister is a boba fanatic. The boba cup was completely hand made--Cricut hasn't caught on yet




Love how Versamark ink creates a "watermark"

I forgot to take a photo of the card before I gave it, but it was Totoro themed!







Thinking of you...Sympathy









Birthday Decorations


A Disney Cars Themed Birthday, thanks to the Cricut Disney Cars cartridge







Baby Stuff














This actually shows the inspiration for my card



What to get a 1-year-old? How about a growth chart he can have for a long time! Easily made with plyboard from Home depot, paint, Cricut cut outs, and Mod Podge



Autumn Cards
Took a card making class at a cute scrapbooking store, Scrampers in Torrance, where I learned how to use Dreamweaver stencils, embossing paste, gold leafing, and alcohol inks. Such beautiful results...












Golf Themed Baby Shower

Went all out for my best friend's baby shower. There is even fake grass carpet on the floor! Had awesome yummy golf course cupcakes and golfball cake pops made by a talented high school friend, Genevieve Marie Nicolas.



















Wedding Seat Signs:


Made these for very close friends who decided to wear them as necklaces!




Random stuff: Garden Herb Markers










French Themed Baby Shower





Cricut Iron-On Vinyl makes it so easy to make custom onesies








Superbowl Sunday Viewing Party:



Valentine's Day Card for my mom:



Mother's Day & Father's Day Cards:





2 comments:

  1. Wow, major beautiful novelty generation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog is amazing! Loved seeing all your projects, and hearing the stories behind making the wedding details. Can't wait to see your next creations!

    ReplyDelete