Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Personalized Disney Growth Chart

Met this little dude when he was only about 6 weeks old. Now he's one! For his Cars themed birthday party I made the banners and signs that I posted earlier this month. Since his mom is a HUGE Disney lover I know that Nathan will be as well. I decided to make a Disney themed growth chart for his birthday present. I first checked on Etsy and to my surprise there really wasn't anything out there similar to what I had in mind. Unlike another growth chart I made before, I wanted one a little more portable and light, since Nathan and his family will be moving to NY in the next few months. I happened to find thin wooden sheets measuring 12 x 24 inches for $4.95 each at Joann's and got 2. Nathan's dad is way over 6 foot tall, but I figured that by the time Nathan reaches 6 feet tall he probably won't be using his Disney growth chart anymore--thus I only got 2 pieces of wood for the growth chart. Using my Cricut machine I cut out 6 inch letters and 2 inch numbers using Chalkboard font. Here I just laid the letters out to see where they would go.



Using the Disney Pixar/Pooh Bear/ Cars cartridges I cut out a couple of the characters and pieced them all together...


Too Cute!

I painted the plyboard with blue paint from Home Depot I had leftover from my previous growth chart...



After the board had completely dried, I then stuck the letters and numbers on using using my handy Xyron machine for the big stuff and Extra Strength Elmer's Glue Stick for the little stuff. I cut out the inch markers with white paper. 


 Here is my Xyron Creative Station essentially making stickers out of all my Cricut Disney cutouts...

This is how everything looked with the characters stuck on...



I then used Modge Podge and coated the entire thing. I found that this time around I had the good fortune of not having the paper bubble or get warped as the Modge Podge dried.


Maybe it was because I used the cool air setting on my hair dryer...I was a little impatient-I probably could have just air dryed it overnight too...



My hubby was kind enough to drill some holes for me (the electric drill for some reason scares me)...and I added the final touch with some ribbon to hang the chart with. Tah-dah!! Nathan's parents can use a regular Sharpie on the inch markers to mark the date when he's measured, or even a white paint pen will do on the blue base...



Me and the birthday boy at his party


No comments:

Post a Comment